Preparing and Uploading Your Virtual Presentation
Dear Compel 2020 Presenters,
On behalf of the Compel 2020 Organizing Committee, we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding during this time of transition to a virtual conference. The organizing committee has decided that the conference will now be a virtual event of select presentations. By agreeing to provide your presentation material and registering for the conference, your work will be published and searchable in the IEEE Xplore digital library. Your presentation material will only be made available to conference attendees (i.e. those who have registered for the conference) for a limited period of time, beginning 09 November 2020.
In preparation, below are the official submission instructions for all presentation types. Please prepare your presentation by October 25th, 2020.
We highly encourage you to include an audio/video presentation of your work both to allow you the opportunity to explain your work and get more exposure to the audience, as well as making the conference more informative, valuable and engaging for the attendees.
There are several video conferencing tools available to easily record a presentation. In this method, you can show your face via webcam (if you’d like) and display your slides as you talk. You can use any meeting software as long as you get a good quality recording and your final file is in the MP4 format. Here are some links to instructions on recording a meeting on common platforms:
- WebEx: Video Conferencing – Record a Cisco Webex Meeting
- Skype: Skype for Business: Recording a Meeting | Information Technology Services | Bemidji State University
- Google Meet: Record a video meeting – Meet Help
- Zoom: Local Recording – Zoom Help Center
- Gotomeeting: How to Record a GoToMeeting Session | Techwalla and How to Convert and Open the GoToMeeting Recordings
- Microsoft Teams: Record a meeting in Teams – Office Support
You can also use the two step method covered below:
- Create Voice Over Power point: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/record-a-slide-show-with-narration-and-slide-timings-0b9502c6-5f6c-40ae-b1e7-e47d8741161c and convert to MP4 https://nursing.vanderbilt.edu/knowledge-base/knowledgebase/how-to-save-voppt-to-mp4/
Audio/Video File requirements for both poster and oral presentations:
- All files must be in MP4 Format
- A bit rate of 1mbps or less: To check the bit rate, right click on the file name, click on properties, go to the details tab, and look for total bitrate. (*Note: The platform will accept videos with a higher bit rate, but some quality may be lost during the upload process)
- Resolution = 720p HD
- Presentation lengths
- Oral (lecture) presentations not to exceed 15 mins
- Poster (dialogue) presentations not to exceed 5 mins: Please kindly be noted that the virtual “poster” will be in the form of a PPT presentation. There will be no real poster, but a 5-min presentation is needed by using the same template as the oral presentation. This “5-min” presentation will be available on-demand before the session start. During the poster session (1 hour), the author will have an opportunity for open discussion/Q&A via Zoom online platform.
- Please use the following naming convention: Session ID–Paper ID.pptx, Session ID–Paper ID.pdf, Session ID–Paper ID.mp4, where session ID is the code that is entered in front of your paper/poster title in the program and Paper ID is the ID number of the paper. Example: T1.1-078.mp4
- Please visit https://compel2020.org/ and view the conference technical program to identify your session ID.
- Please log in to your easychair profile to see your paper ID.
Tips for recording:
- Use as quiet an area as possible
- Avoid areas that have echo
- Rooms should be fairly small
- Sound dampening with carpeting, curtains, furniture
- Hardline internet connection recommended, but if unavailable, a strong Wi-Fi connection
- Good headset with microphone close to mouth BUT away from direct line of mouth to reduce “pops”. Avoid using default built-in microphone on computer.
- Do a test recording of a couple of minutes and review the sound and picture quality, MP4 format, and bit rate before recording the entire presentation. Make adjustments if needed.
Uploading Your Presentation to the Virtual Event Platform: After you have prepared your MP4 video file, you should upload the MP4 video file through this link. Please note that we frequently move the presentations to a secure folder. Hence, if you have previously uploaded a presentation video and if it is no longer available in this link and you wish to upload a new one, just do that once again to this link with the same name as previously, then we will update it in our secure folder. If your presentation is still available in this link and you wish to update your presentation, just replace your original video with the updated one. Lastly, please note that if for some reason, we have not received your presentation video, we will contact you directly to ask for an additional presentation upload. If you have any questions, please email IEEE MCE’s Deidre Artis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standards and Templates (for PPT, PPTX):
Please download and use the COMPEL 2020 template below for both oral and poster presentations.
|Format||PPT / PPTX||Template|
|16×9 (widescreen)||16×9 aspect ratio||Download COMPEL2020_Temp|